Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Graffitti In Cities- Loath It or Love It





Throughout recent years there has been much debate as to whether or not graffitti should be kept in cities as part of the scenery. Graffitti artists pride themselfs on their work and most of the paintings they produce are quite amazing, (just take a look at the painting above!) Major cities such as Chicago are known for the artwork the posses, in fact in some cases the graffitti is a main tourist attraction. I personally belive that the graffitti in cites is a huge part of the personality that the population in that certain city has, the paintings are part of the culture of suburban life and without it the towns and cities would be a dull stretch of buildings with no actually appeal. In this matter there is only two sides I find either you love it and support it one hundred percent or you hate it and fund the government to get rid of it. I'm on the loving side, I mean just check out the top pic that painting is dope!!




This is a piece that someone tagged on the Berlin Wall before it was smashed, The time and energy spent in doing these things is so crazy that I don't even think I could stand around and watch someone paint it on the wall let alone paint it myself!! However my respects go out to these guys (and girls) because thier talent is just so crazy!!
I only have one thing to say to the fact that the government is making an effort to help stop the destruction of these pieces of art: ABOUT TIME!!!! In my humble opinon (lol) graffitti should be viewed as the cities personality and left alone just because you can't draw and paint as good as these artists don't hate they got mad skillz!! Do you think the graffitti in cities should be left alone or not.
P.S. If not why the NOT!!!!!














3 comments:

enigma said...

I honestly love graffiti, I agree wtih you that it makes the city so much better. It is a love/hate fact, some say it's disrespectful to the person's property and it should be taken down. I hate it when people say this, art is art! It's something that is beautiful in a world full of neverending white/beige suburbia it adds personality. I hate the endless ugly white/beige that is ongoing which is why graffiti as long as it's not offense should stay. I would pay for people to graffiti anything that i own. Wouldn't it be awsome if lockers had graffiti or at least some form of colour?

Kcin said...

Graffitti is really cool because its sort of weird how someone can sparypaint that good and not be famous. I agree with you that graffitty is awesome. And I think it looks really cool in a city but i always see them on trains which is weird, but graffitty definitly brights up everything.

sallyspaghetti said...

Yeah i hate it when people disrespect Graffiti artwork, and call it a crime etc. Its art! i think its great that people want to decorate urban areas and make them prettier.